So for dinner tonight I wanted to make my favorite Sunday dinner which is roasted chicken. I have been working on making a great roasted chicken for a few years for a variety of reasons namely it tastes damn good, it's fairly healthy for you and it's not terribly expensive. But tonight I wanted to put a spin on it and was in the mood for some fennel so I came up with the following recipe:
1/2 roasted chicken, skin on - bone in
4 carrots, peeled and chopped into 2" pieces
1 lb assorted fingerling potatoes cut in 1/2
1 large sweet onion quartered
1 bulb of fennel quartered
5 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
2 tablespoons of butter, melted
1/4 cup rosemary, chopped
1/4 cup thyme, chopped
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Set oven to 425 degrees.
- Pat dry your chicken and brush on melted butter. Season it with salt and pepper. Sprinkle 25% of your herbs on to the top of the chicken.
- Put all of the veggies in a large mixing bowl. Add garlic and remaining herbs. Season with salt and pepper. Add olive oil and lemon juice to bowl and toss to coat.
- Pour veggies into a roasting pan and distribute evenly. Place chicken skin side up on top of veggies.
- Roast chicken for 35-40 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
- Remove from oven and tent with foil and let rest for 10 minutes.